6.29.2010

Assisi and Planning pour Paris!

Hello, internet. I missed you. Sorry for the lack of updates, however the internet at the Miller/Scipioni/?? household was out of commission these past couple of days for some unknown reason. Kane and I were itching to get our hands on the router, as 99% of problems with anyone's internet are solved simply by unplugging and plugging back in their modem. Alas... also I've just realized that I don’t know the surnames of any of the other people living in my apartment complex. Eh, I’ll live. Time for the good stuff!
 
This past weekend was one part enjoying friends in Perugia and 
one part vacationing to Assisi. Both were quite splendid. 

 The Rocca Maggiore, a huge fortress that acted as the city of Assisi's stronghold during times of attack. The exact date of Maggiore's erection is unknown, but the earliest record of activity here dates back to 1000AD. Pretty impressive. Kane really liked this picture due to the contrast in light from the left to right side of the castle. "Very foreboding..." Well, if you're wondering about those foreboding clouds - yes, it did start to pour about three minutes after our tour of Assisi was complete. 

On the way back down from Maggiore we happened upon this fence covered in bubble gum. 
I thought it was a nice hidden quirk of the castle's property.
The view from the top of Assisi.


The Basilica of St. Francis. This Basilica was lovely on the inside - literally covered floor to ceiling with impressive frescos and exquisite stained glass. When I mentioned to my mother that we were going to Assisi she immediately blurted out the name of the artist famous for the frescos - "Giotto at all?" I am going to miss not having her around when we go to Florence. 

Some friends back in Perugia. From the Right there is Madeline (UK), Arlette (The Netherlands), Francesca (France/UK), Mia (Australia), and myself. They are so great!

Also I am happy to report that things are nice and squared away for my visit to Paris. We are spending four nights there (at a very nice hotel) - let the scrupulous itiner-izing begin! If anyone is going to be in Paris for that time, please let me know! We would love to have some fellow adventurers. Any suggestions for what to see/where to go dans Paris? So far I have the following locations in mind (almost all of which Mia peaked my interest to - thanks Mia!):
The Louvre
Musee d'Orsay
Pere la Chaise Cemetery
Centre George Pompidou
Notre Dame

One of the things I absolutely cannot wait to do is VISIT THE PLACES WHERE AMELIE WAS FILMED! AH!! I am making this a TOP priority. I am forcing Kane to watch it before we leave - if only to convince him that I'm not completely crazy for wanting to have my picture taken at all of these places. This movie is also the reason that I have a copy of Renoir's Boating Party hanging up in my room, in case any of you were ever wondering.

Anyone who knows me knows that I have been absolutely in love with Amelie since I first watched it about eight years ago. My itinerary includes the following:

Dip my hand into a sack of grain at the market on Passage des Abbesses, describe the sight of a bustling street market to a blind man and leave him at the  Métro Lamarck-Caulaincourtsit down with some crème brulée  and a tiny teaspoon while contemplating the mysterious of love at the Café des Deux Moulins, experience a surge of love for humanity while walking across the Pont des Arts outside of the Louvre, and skip some stones at the Channel of Saint Martin. Last but certainly not least - buy a fresh stick of bright blue chalk and go to work in the park behind the Sacre Couer!

I am so excited!!! Okay, perhaps I won't do all of those things - but who knows, with four adventurous days in Paris anything is possible! I'll do my best! God this movie is amazing.

Ciao for now,
Rebecca



Addendum:
Happy Belated Birthday, Pensky M. 

1 comment:

  1. hay it's me moo!!!!! first of all this was posted on my bday tanks 4 remembering, but it's all good. PARIS RECS:

    -when you're near notre dame get some ice cream from Berthillon...their main store is on ile saint-louis but their ice cream is sold at tons of other shops and restaurants around there, it is SO GOOD
    -go to bars on the Champs-Elysees, it's really expensive so you can probs only do it once but you'll feel hip and cool~*~
    -go to the marais (saint-paul metro stop, it's on line 1 which you take for the louvre and everything), there are tons of art galleries there with cool art but you would especially LOVE the rineke dijkstra exhibit at the Galerie Marian Goodman right now. it's on the basement level and i won't spoil it you have to go see it. also maria told me about this so i can't take credit but still, L'As du Fallafel has ridiculous falafel for $5 a sandwich, it's on rue de Rosiers

    i think that's enough for 4 days, HAVE FUNNNN! <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete